Monday, August 29, 2016

Farmer's Wife - Week 38 - Our Blocks

After finishing week 38, we only have one week left!  Our blocks from this week include two more complex blocks that are similar and one other that is pretty simple.  Come back soon and I'll start sharing the assembly process.




Block 89 - Steps to the Altar

As we get down to the last few block, we are rummaging through the leftover fabrics looking for bit to use in these blocks.  This one was especially true for me.  Since we needed these little squares, I found myself rummaging through my scrap box for pieces I previously decided were to small to use.


Farmer's Wife - Block 89 - Steps to the Altar
MJ's Farmer's Wife - Block 89 - Steps to the Altar
Farmer's Wife - Block 89 - Steps to the Altar
Beth's Farmer's Wife - Block 89 - Steps to the Altar

Block 90 - Storm Signal

This one haunted me because of the hourglass block.  Our efficient piecing tutorial makes two hourglass blocks, but we both found a leftover one from a previous block.  I had planned to make that hourglass with red fabric (it's supposed to be a signal, after all!), but decided to use this to save time.


Farmer's Wife - Block 90 - Storm Signal
MJ's Farmer's Wife - Block 90 - Storm Signal
Farmer's Wife - Block 90 - Storm Signal
Beth's Farmer's Wife - Block 90 - Storm Signal

Block 91 - Strawberry Basket

The name of this block screamed for red, but I feel there's an awful lot of red in there.  I'm leaving it.  I love the new green fabric I recently added in there with the dark green to help tone down the red a bit and look like the leaves of a strawberry plant.

Beth is quite pleased with the value and scale combinations in her block.


Farmer's Wife - Block 91 - Strawberry Basket
MJ's Farmer's Wife - Block 91 - Strawberry Basket
Farmer's Wife - Block 91 - Strawberry Basket
Beth's Farmer's Wife - Block 91 - Strawberry Basket


See instructions for Week 38 Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along.
See our blocks from Week 37.