Sunday, May 22, 2016

Kansas Dust Storm and ET Phone Home Blocks - Blue & White Sampler

I continue to make progress on the Blue & White Sampler quilt, in between the Farmer's Wife Quilt blocks and the La Pasacaglia Quilt!  Here are the latest blocks, ET Phone Home and Kansas Dust Storm.  See below for more details on the complete quilt plan.

ET Phone Home and Kansas Dust Storm Quilt Blocks
ET Phone Home and Kansas Dust Storm Quilt Blocks



I pieced the Kansas Dust Storm block using the instructions and templates on the Freshly Pieced blog and it came together nicely.  I'm trying to make some of the sampler blocks have blue on the edges so that not all of the blocks have white on the edges.  This is one that looks better in person than the picture because the blues seem to run together here, but not in person.

Kansas Dust Storm Quilt Block
Kansas Dust Storm Quilt Block

I found the ET Phone Home quilt block on the Lily's Quilts blog where she included paper piecing templates.  I'm pleased with how it turned out and found the templates to be very good.  I made one variation in that I chose to put a theme fabric on the corners, instead of the background white, and this gives the block an octagon effect, which I quite like for variety.  This also satisfies my above attempt to have some blocks that don't have white on the edges.

ET Phone Home Quilt Block
ET Phone Home Quilt Block

These two blocks were somewhat similar because they both involved 8 sections that came together in the center; it's tough to get those seams to come together evenly in the center.

In a previous post for one of the other sampler blocks I mentioned that I am using a Design Your Own sampler quilt idea.  Here is my drafted grid with the blocks I have completed so far overlaid.  Each of the squares that are 6 inches or more will feature a different block, then the other smaller spots will be just solid fabric or whatever I dream up (pinwheel, hourglass, flying geese, checkerboard, etc).


See all of my posts on the Blue & White Sampler quilt progress.