Sunday, May 29, 2016

Twisted Log Cabin block - Blue and White Sampler

I finished the Twisted Log Cabin block for the Blue & White Sampler quilt and I wanted to share this fabulous block with you.

Twisted Log Cabin quilt block
Twisted Log Cabin quilt block



I discovered this block a long time ago on this quilting forum and was glad to find an opportunity to use it.  The post is from quite a long time ago, but the instructions are really very good.  I would just have these additional tips to add:
  • After each layer of logs, for lack of a better term, be sure to square up your block.  For me, the optical illusion messed with my sense of what is square.  It's important to make sure you start with a true square before adding the next layer of logs.
  • Try your hardest to sew through the intersection of the previous layer of logs.  One nice thing about this block is that it doesn't have to be perfect to really pop, but try to be precise for a tidy look.
  • The first two layers are the hardest, then you get the hang of it and the rest goes pretty easily.
  • I used 1 1/2 inch strips, instead of the 1 3/4 inches in the instructions, and it worked perfectly.  I did this because I didn't want much waste, which some people mentioned in the comments.
  • Regarding waste, I was able to also avoid much waste by not cutting off each strip until I made the angled cut.  Then I was able to use that angled cut at the end of another strip; you are going to cut it off anyway.
 If you decide to make this block, don't fuss too much and just try to be consistent on each row.

Good luck!