Friday, July 29, 2016

Farmer's Wife Quilt-Along: Re-Worked Blocks

Now that I'm almost done with my Farmer's Wife Quilt blocks, I find I don't like a few so I have re-made them.  Check out each block before and after.
  • Block 81 - Snowball
  • Block 63 - Ozark Maple Leaf
  • Block 30 - End of Day
  • Block 29 - Economy


I didn't start from scratch on them all, only on Ozark Maple Leaf.  For the others, I just picked as few seams as possible, cut out the new pieces, and fit them in.

Block 81 - Snowball

I found that my original version of this block needed some white in it, so I simply replaced the center square with white.

Snowball - Before
Snowball - Before
Snowball - After
Snowball - After

Block 63 - Ozark Maple Leaf

Here, again, this block needed some white in it.  Maybe I went overboard a bit, but I like it better.

Ozark Maple Leaf - Before
Ozark Maple Leaf - After
Ozark Maple Leaf - After

Block 30 - End of Day

This block had far too much red.  We all know the rule of red - less is more when paired with cool colors - so I should have known better!

End of Day - Before
End of Day - Before
End of Day - After
End of Day - After

Block 29 - Economy

Economy was too saturated and had too much red, again.  Just replacing the outer triangles with white made a big difference.

Economy - Before
Economy - Before
Economy - After
Economy - After

I learned so much from making this huge variety of blocks and it was fun to look back over them once I had a lot completed.  The ones that just didn't fit in stuck out like a sore thumb, so taking just a little more time to made an adjustment was worth it.

It looks like I just ripped out all of the red and yellow, based on these four blocks, but what I discovered is that I prefer the red and yellow in small pieces.  It was just coincidence that they all ended up being green/blue/white.

Check out all of the Farmer's Wife activity on this blog, and see how much red and yellow I did leave in!