Wednesday, October 28, 2015

English Paper Piecing Progress

Earlier this year I shared my new interest in English Paper Piecing.  Well, I'm obsessed now!  I'm plotting my next move into working on a Passacaglia quilt.  But until then, here is more of I started.


This is measuring about 3 feet across so far (definitely on its way to a nice lap quilt) and I've been working in sections.  Continuing with what I started, I ended up with a sort of medallion that is the center of the quilt, as seen in this picture below. 



Of course, once the center was complete and I liked what I saw, I had to start figuring out where I was going with this.  I used the paper templates to help me figure it out.  I had originally decided to print the templates on different colors of card stock to help me tell them apart, distinguishing hexagons from diamonds when they are in a pile, but here you can see another benefit.  This particular card stock has a different color on each side, so just flipping it over gives me some contrast.

Here is another section that I repeated around the medallion.


I also added a few tumbling blocks for good measure, so I think this qualifies as an EPP Sampler quilt.  Here you can see how I have laid things out to get a feel for how it will look.  I took pictures as I went so that I had a reference as I was putting the section together.


One thing I decided early on was that I would only allow the colored elements to touch each other at tips, never along a side.  This helps keep the star, flower and tumbling block elements visible as single units.

Hope you enjoyed seeing my progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment