Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Modern Quilt for Nick

I had a hard time deciding what type of quilt to make for Nick, who graduated from college last week.  He has many interests and majored in Mathematics, so I think part of my struggle was narrowing down a topic.  In the end, I went with a modern approach (much admired by me, but never tackled, until now).

Graduation Quilt for Nick
Graduation Quilt for Nick



One thing I decided on was to strive for asymmetry, something I have a hard time with, but I see this in many of the quilts that draw me in.  As for a "topic", Nick has an appreciation for art, so I thought something a little less traditional would be a good approach.  I'm pleased with how it turned out, but I could have spent a LOT more hours on the big stitch quilting!

I love the maverick stars (also called wonky stars) I've seen quilters making from scraps and in various sizes.  These stars scream asymmetry, so I started with them as the center-piece.  Each of the blocks in a whopping 20 inches square!

Graduation Quilt for Nick
Graduation Quilt for Nick





I also love the quilts that have these modern log cabin blocks, so those had to be included, as well.  As for the big stitching, I couldn't envision machine quilting that wouldn't take away from the boldness and simplicity of these elements, so I chose to do the big stitch hand quilting.

All of the fabrics are Kona Cotton Solids and I used DMC Perle Cotton #5 in matching colors for the big stitch quilting.  You can barely see the binding fabric, but it's a lovely multi-color batik that works just perfectly.

Here are a few shots where you can see the stitching better...

Graduation Quilt for Nick
Graduation Quilt for Nick






Graduation Quilt for Nick
Graduation Quilt for Nick



Graduation Quilt for Nick
Graduation Quilt for Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment