Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Gifts for Friends - Coin Purses and Star Wars Bags

I haven't been posting much lately, but I have been busy!  This year, I made a few small items to give as gifts to some of my co-workers and friends.  It's always tough to come up with good ideas for holiday gifts, but everyone seemed to enjoy receiving something hand made.

Coin Purses in modern batiks
Coin Purses in modern batiks



Coin Purses

These coin purses came together nicely and everyone loved the pretty batiks.  I tend to pick up a few batik fat quarters when I stop into a quilt shop, even if I don't get anything else (well, when does that happen!), and I had the best time picking through my stash to get just the right fabrics to match different personalities.  I used a pattern I had picked up by Atkinson's Designs, but made a few modifications to some of the structural features once I got into it. The purses measure about 6 1/2 inches long and about 3 1/2 inches tall, perfect for cash and credit cards, smaller cell phones, or that collection of cosmetics that get lost in the bottom of your purse.  They include a layer of batting to help with stability.

Drawstring Bags

I made these drawstring bags without a pattern for the two guys who are Star Wars fans.  When I saw this Star Wars: Rogue One fabric, I instantly knew I would do something for them using this fabric.  The graphic print is a typical cotton, but the Star Wars logo fabric is flannel, perfect to use for the lining.  Similar to the coin purses, there is a layer of batting for stability and padding, since I suggested the bags might be good for holding their cell phone or sun glasses while in a backpack to protect them from scratches.  The bags measure roughly 7 inches by 4 inches.


Star Wars: Rogue One drawstring bags
Star Wars: Rogue One drawstring bags (and fabric)

I'm inspired to make more, as these came together pretty quickly once I got the hang of it!