Sunday, March 27, 2016

Two More Blocks - Blue & White Sampler

Last week I shared the Lone Star block I made for my Blue & White Sampler quilt.  Well, I've finished two more blocks; Swoon and an un-named block I stumbled on.


They are very similar, but since I made them different sizes, they look very different.


I discovered the un-named block on Diary of a Quilt Maven.  There is a tutorial at that link, but it seemed to have a good deal of waste, so I chose to make mine using a collection of Flying Geese, Square-in-a-Square blocks, and simple squares and rectangles.  For the rectangle units with the dark blue fabric, I was tempted to use two HST's for each, but decided to piece it as one unit.  I got it done, but not without some re-do-ing!  I made this one 8 inches, finished; since this block pattern is on an 8 x 8 grid, each little block is one inch square.

Blue & White - Star Block
Blue & White - Star Block

Swoon is a block that you can get a pattern for from Camille Roskelley; it is included in one of her books. I found it to be so similar to the block I made above, but I didn't realize it until I started working on it.

This block pattern is also on an 8 x 8 grid, but since I made mine to be 12 inches, finished, each little block is 1 1/2 inches square.






So, now I have 4 blocks done for my sampler, a huge Feathered Star block (once I add a small border it will be 20 inches), a 16 inch Lone Star block, a 12 inch Swoon block, and an 8 inch Star block.

Follow along with the latest on my Blue & White Sampler here.