Sunday, March 29, 2015

English Paper Piecing - Progress

Back in January I shared my thoughts on English Paper Piecing, something I started after being drawn into what I had been seeing from others online.  I continue to work on it a little at a time, so I thought I'd share my progress.

English Paper Piecing
English Paper Piecing

In my previous post, I hadn't started putting the "stars" and "flowers" together in any sort of pattern, so since then I decided to add some white space between.  I love how the collections take on different shapes as you get them assembled.  Clearly the "flowers" stand out, but sometimes, the "stars" turn into tumbling blocks where they are joined to a white diamond.

I think I've decided to leave the basting stitches in place for the finished product.  I like how it helps to keep the overall piece laying flat.  The one exception may be the center of the flowers and the white hexies.  I still do have an idea that there should be some fabric overlap to help prevent the batting fibers from poking through, and by releasing the basting stitches and pressing the allowances outward, then many of the seams will have a backing.

Now, how big will I go with this project?  I still don't know.  What I'm considering next is changing up the layout a bit to keep it interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment