Monday, February 17, 2014

My First Quilt - Lady of the Lake

I am immensely proud of the first quilt I ever made.

Lady of the Lake Quilt
Lady of the Lake

It was back in the 1980's and probably took be about 6-9 months to complete. 
Book: The Pattern Library: Quilting and Patchwork
Inspirational Book

The piecing was done by machine, and actually went fairly quickly because I was an avid seamstress.  The hand quilting was the challenge.  I had a quilting hoop that I kept in my family room and worked on it while watching TV in the evenings.  At some point, I decided it was going to take forever to quilt it, so I did the bare minimum I could get away with, applied the binding, and started using it.  Then whenever I wanted to do more quilting, I'd pull it off the bed and do a small section.  Then back onto the bed it went until the next time.

It's been in my attic for many years and I started to worry that it may have not held up well, so I took it down and am pleased that it did just fine.  It is a variation of the Lady of the Lake quilt pattern.  I first saw it in this small book I picked up; The Pattern Library: Quilting and Patchwork by Michelle Walker.

Lady of the Lake Quilt Block
Lady of the Lake Block

The pattern is a repeated block and as the blocks are assembled, they are rotated.

The hand quilting is very basic and not very imaginative.  I was still developing my hand quilting technique, but by the time I finished this king sized quilt, I pretty much had it down!

I love the way the alternating position of the blocks give the appearance of fish.







Here are the things I learned in making this quilt:
  • Never underestimate the value of quality batting.  This quilt suffers from "bearding" due to poor quality batting.
  • Hand quilting is difficult and time-consuming.  I developed a new respect for any hand quilting I come across.

Extras 

Until I dragged this out of the attic, I had completely forgotten about the pillow shams I made to match.  Sorry for the poor lighting and wrinkles.