Saturday, February 22, 2014

Laura's Crazy Quilt

This quilt was a gift for my niece in honor of her college graduation.  It was started by my mother, her grandmother, many years before.

Crazy Quilt


Each of the squares is a collection of fabrics including cottons, upholstery (velvets, brocades, etc.), and who-knows-what.  I think there may even be some pieces from old ties!

My mother started making the squares and spent time with my niece on the embroidery, teaching her how to make different stitches.  You can see the detail better here (if you click on the images).

Crazy Quilt Square #1
Crazy Quilt Square #1
Crazy Quilt Square #2
Crazy Quilt Square #2
When I picked up the project, all of the squares were complete and some of them had the embroidery done.  So, I finished up the embroidery and assembled the quilt.

It was fun going through the books my mother had used for inspiration and reminding myself how to do the different stitches.  One of the books was by Judith Baker Montano, which I believe is now in its second edition.  It had been years since I'd done any hand embroidery, and this application included quite a few stitches I had never done.  It also combines quite a few interesting combinations that are fun.  Seed beads have been added to many of the stitches, and the use of satin ribbons couched down with french knots or other stitches is included, as well.

Things I learned while making this quilt:
  • This is not a style of quilt I would decide to make, so working on something that is the idea of someone else was new for me.  In some ways, it was liberating because I was able to just follow along with what had been started and do my best to keep it on track.  I'm not sure I finished it up the way my mother would have, but I do like the end product.
  • Embroidery is fun and can be relaxing.  I enjoyed adding the other elements to the stitching; beads, appliques, and ribbons.