Sunday, March 30, 2014

Gordian Knot Quilt - The Challenge

Fascinated by the challenge of making this adaptation of the celtic knot, I couldn't let this go until I reverse engineered the process and completed the assembly.

Gordian Knot Quilt - Wall Hanging
Gordian Knot Quilt - Wall Hanging

I came across several blog posts of people making this quilt in a class or from purchased instructions.  I was fascinated and spent a good deal of time studying the possibilities of how the piecing process would best be done.

I drew it out to a 1/4 inch scale, then was able to adapt that to whatever size I wanted.  This particular quilt ended up on the small size, no more than two feet tall, probably less.  I've seen some really beautiful versions of this quilt, some using silks and velvets, and others making the knot the centerpiece of a quilt that includes other elements around it.

The machine quilting was done with stitch-in-the-ditch around the knot, and stippling in the background for a nice contrast that allows the knot to pop out.  I added corner triangle pockets in all four corners, so I can hang it  either tall or wide, and signed it on one of the pockets using permanent marker.