Thursday, December 14, 2017

Paisley Splash Elephant Baby Quilt - for Baby Lively

We learned earlier this year that our nephew and his wife are expecting a child!  It will be the first baby in the next generation on either side of our family, so it's quite an exciting event.  Of course, a baby quilt was in order, and not just one of simple squares of various cute fabrics.  So the search began for patterns and ideas. 

Paisley Splash Elephant Quilt
Paisley Splash Elephant Quilt


I found this free pattern from Wyndham Fabrics (note, link stopped working; see bottom of post).  It is slightly geared toward their collection of fabrics, some of which are paisley, but easily adaptable to your own selection of fabrics.  There are a lot of great ideas for color schemes from others on Pinterest and Google, but I particularly like the addition of the little baby elephant holding an umbrella by this quilter.


Paisley Splash Elephant Quilt
Paisley Splash Elephant Quilt - splash detail

Paisley Splash Elephant Quilt
Paisley Splash Elephant Quilt - splash detail

To make the baby elephant template, I reduced the template provided for the large one, but it took a few tries to get the right size.  I think my first mistake was that my math was off because for the large elephant, the instructions say to enlarge it 200%, so in the end I think I made this elephant 75% the size of the original template.  I drew the umbrella by hand; not to difficult.

Paisley Splash Elephant Quilt
Paisley Splash Elephant Quilt - baby elephant

My first resizing attempt made the baby elephant way too small, so I used that one for the label!  So cute.


Paisley Splash Elephant Quilt
Paisley Splash Elephant Quilt - Label

Fortunately, I had downloaded the PDF of the instructions, so since the link to the pattern no longer works, here is a link to it from this blog.  Please honor the copyright.

14 comments:

  1. How much of each fabric did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appears their pattern is no longer available, so my apologies for that. I used 6 colored fabrics and likely purchased 1/4 yard of each. That should be enough for the border squares, which I added, and the appliqued water droplets. The elephant is pretty wide, so 1/2 yard of the gray would be safe. The background for the middle part is 22" x 33", so 2/3 yard would cover it. Then you'll need more for the backing and binding.

      Delete
  2. Do you have a pattern for this quilt? I have been searching for 2 years for an elephant quilt that I like and I have fallen in love with this one. Everything about this one. Other similar quilts (even Carols in the 2015 quilt show) are nice, but I love the placement of the water droplets and the size of the elephants and the colors of this one SO much!!!! Is it possible to get a pattern to recreate this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've edited the post to include a link to the PDF I downloaded. Since the link on the Wyndham site doesn't work, I thought that would be OK. To make the baby elephant I reduced the pattern for the large elephant and reversed it before cutting it out. I don't recall what percentage I reduced it because I tried a few times until it was the size I wanted (that's how I ended up with the really small one I used on the label!). I free handed the umbrella, so no pattern for that either.

      I don't have a pattern for how I placed the droplets, I just laid them out until it was how I wanted it.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! My mother-in-law(love) is getting started on this! Yay!! Do you know where you got the blue fabric that has the different colored water looking slashes through it?

      Delete
    3. It's been several years, but I got it at a local fabric shop. It's most likely a Hoffman Batik. Good Luck!

      Delete
  3. Can you tell me the finished size of your quilt? I take it the bigger blocks are 5"? thanks. This is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gloria! I don't have the quilt handy to check the measurements, but I'm guessing I made the small blocks 2" and the large blocks 5". The center section is larger than the pattern called for because I wanted to make sure there was room for the baby elephant. Glad you like it!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for all this information on the baby elephant. I really want to make this quilt for neighbors of ours, and wanted it to include the baby. Really excited about this. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, just wanted to ask you if it would be OK to « steal « your idea of adding the baby elephant and umbrella, when I will be making this quilt - some time in the future? Your version just hit my heart!
    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, no problem at all! I'm happy for you to use this idea.

      Delete
  6. Love this so much, I made the original version and love it, but like this one even more!! thanks for inspiring me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to start on my version of this that is inspired by you. I want to make it larger for a good friends' new grand baby. I hope it turns out as nice as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going through my pieces from other quilts. I have so many stashes.

    ReplyDelete