Saturday, February 22, 2014

Kaleidoscope Scrap Quilt

While I've dipped into my fabric stash for many projects before, this is officially my first scrap quilt.  It is made up of the Kaleidoscope quilt block.
Scrap Quilt - Kaleidoscope
Scrap Quilt - Kaleidoscope


Kaleidoscope Quilt Block - Dark 
Kaleidoscope Quilt Block - Dark
The quilt is made up of a repeating block, but with alternating light and dark color placement.  The center of each four-pointed "star" is actually each block, as shown in this cut-out image, Quilt Block - Dark.

The alternating block has more light pieces, like this one, Quilt Block - Light.  I made the blocks using the paper piecing method. 

Kaleidoscope Quilt Block - Light
Kaleidoscope Quilt Block - Light
I coordinated the assembly so that the quilt colors moved from purples in one corner to blues through the center to greens in the opposite corner.  I am pleased with the effect of the pale neutrals throughout the lighter blocks along with a sprinkling of pale theme colors, as well.  All of the purple, blue, and green fabrics were from my stash.  I had to purchase some of the lighter fabrics to keep the variety up.

On the edges of the quilt, I decided that I didn't want to go all the way to the border with the quilt squares, so I finished off the quilt center edges with half blocks that only have that one dark triangle on it.  I think it gives the quilt a more polished look without having the partial "diamonds" around the edge.

I particularly like how the quilt appears from a distance to have curved pieces.  It looks like it would be difficult, but it is really more of an intermediate level quilt.

This is the first quilt that I had professionally quilted.  I found someone new to the business and she did a great job with the all-over wave pattern.

Here are the things I learned while making this quilt:
  • Improved my paper piecing technique; I had done some small projects using this technique, but nothing this large.
  • Piecing as-you-go opens door to possibilities that may otherwise be closed due to previous planning.
  • Engaged with a professional long-arm service with great success.